And the Mental Floss blog has pulled out 119 amazingly trivial facts. Here are some of my favs:
6. When he appeared on Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me!, Bill Clinton correctly answered three questions about My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
15. A 1913 New York Times article on portmanteaus includes the word “alcoholiday,” which describes leisure time spent drinking. <how did that fall out of favor?
35. That thing you use to dot your lowercase “i” is called a tittle.
44. Norwegian skier Odd-Bjoern Hjelmeset on why he didn’t win gold at the 2010 Olympics: “I think I have seen too much porn in the last 14 days.”
59. When the computer mouse was invented, it was called the “X-Y Position Indicator for a Display System.”
64. A milliHelen is the quantity of beauty required to launch just one ship.
79. Dr. Ruth was trained as a sniper by the Israeli military.
84. Judge Judy makes $45 million a year.
97. At an NOAA conference in 1972, Roxcy Bolton proposed naming hurricanes after Senators instead of women. She also preferred “him-i-canes.”
99. Horses can’t vomit.
Read the full list here.