So I’ve been in Germany for about 40 hours now – first visit here. Here’s a synopsis of what I’ve thought/learned:
1) I am hyper aware of the whole Nazi thing. Not sure if this is an American thing or a Jewish thing, but I’m going with the Jew one.
2) People seem to speak english pretty well, which is very good since my knowledge of German is limited to “please”, “thank you” and “good day”.
3) Food so far is crap. Ice cream was yummy except for the flavor that the waitress recommended (Mozart?!?!) Hopefully, my germans will point me towards the yummy places as I’m not doing well on my own.
4) The city I am staying/working in (Essen) was a big military/industrial area and was severely bombed during WWII. Apparently 60% of the city was destroyed, which explains why it doesn’t look all that German to me (it’s all pretty new).
5) Jetlag stinks. (It’s 3:51am. I went to bed at 10pm, slept till 2 and have been awake since then. Hoping to tire out so that I get some more sleep before I go to work tomorrow.) Maybe tomorrow I will sleep normally.
That’s all I have for now.